Monday, May 2, 2011

Where were you?

"Where were you when the world stopped turning, that September day?" Where were you when you heard about the bombing of the USS Cole? I could tell you exactly where I was at for both events. I heard about the USS Cole when getting ready for school, I was getting ready to go to school and was in the sixth grade. I think my daddy was deployed during this time and my mom didn't want us to hear the news. But I heard it, and was scared and sad. My heart goes out to those families who lost their Sailors that day, I could not imagine the pain and the hurt that they have endured. My heart hurts even more so for those families, because to me, it seems as if the bombing of the USS Cole has been forgotten.

On September 11th, 2001 I was in school attending middle school in the 7th grade. It was a normal morning for us, my dad was deployed on the USS Enterprise, my mom was getting my brothers and I off to school and herself ready for work. I remember being in band class (don't judge, LOL! I played the flute for a year) and I heard someone say a plane hit the twin towers and didn't really understand what happened. The rest of the day was sort of a blur, in a erry way, many of my friend's parents came and picked them up from school. Most of my teachers were upset and didn't teach much at all, phones were ringing and it was just erry. I wasn't really sure what was going on to be quiet honest. When I got home my mom was in tears and just hugged me long and hard, and then that's when I realized something really, really bad had happened. We watched the horror that had unfolded that morning on the news. Just too shocked to move, to look away. It was heart wrenching. I remember listening to the voicemail my daddy had left us during the day, he had said, "Hey everyone, I miss you and I love you. I won't be home on time, and I'm not sure when I will be home. But I am safe and we are going to go kick some bad guy's ass. I love you and I will call when I can."
I will never, forget that day, not for the rest of my life and I won't ever forget where I was last night, on May 1st, 2011 when I found out that horrible man was killed by an amazing Navy Seal team based out of Virginia Beach, Virginia. I was in bed, exhausted, with Erik and we just so happened to turn on the news and see that Obama was making a speach at 1030 at night on a Sunday, that struck us as pretty weird. That late on a Sunday, something had to be up. Especially since we had heard that the bases security would be raised due to recent events. So we watched and waited and found out that Osama (or Usama depending on who you are) Bin Laden was dead! Thank the lord! That horrible man got what he deserved, a bullet courtesy of the US Navy right in his head.

It was amazing, to see the outburst of patriotism, and relief that our country felt as one last night. I truly think things will change, hopefully for the better, now that this black cloud is gone. I hope that we can move forward as a country and solve the bigger problems that are at hand, and solve them reasonably.

On another hand, we are pretty much completely moved into our home. I absolutely love it, and it's an amazing feeling to have to finally be home. I can't wait to start putting things up on the wall and making it more like ours. I've been looking forward to this for a long time.

I hope everyone has a great Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment