Monday, May 9, 2011

Oddball

It doesn't take much to get my mind rocking and rolling in thoughts lately. It could really be anything that gets that ball rolling. I know I'm not the 'golden girl' that followed every rule in life, I'm the girl who tends to do things backwards, sideways, and any way in between.

I'm the girl who is the 'oddball' so to say. And honestly, I'm pretty okay with that. I've done a lot of things backwards, or not in the 'proper' order. Erik and I live together and we aren't married, and frankly there are a lot of people who aren't happy about that, I'm sure. But I really don't care. It works for us, and I think it is a lot better than those couples who go and get married just so they can live together and then divorce three years later.

I didn't really realize how much of an oddball I was really, until we moved down here. In Virginia Beach, I was still home, I lived out on my own with my boyfriend - which is common. But I was still in my hometown. Since we moved here, I've begun feeling more and more of an oddball. It's like no one else is on the same path as myself. We live in a wonderful neighborhood, in an amazing home. But everyone around us is a good ten years older than ourselves, if not more, and they all of children. Heck - we got looked at pretty funny last night for saying we don't have children. I almost feel as if I am out casted because we are young. I was really, really hoping to make new friends in our neighborhood, and have cookouts and just enjoy the 'community' living. But instead, I'm looked down upon.

I know things will get better, I do. I know eventually I will make friends, and have friendships that are as close as family. But right now, it's a tough pill to swallow. I don't mind being the oddball out, I'm myself, whether or not its 'in style' or not. It just sort of stinks not being able to find a friend who is in the same place in life as I am. I'm not saying by any means, that I can't be friends with someone who has children. Heck two of my great friends do. All I'm saying is it'd be nice to meet someone down here who is in the same place I am. As much as I would love to be a mom, that's just not where I am in life right now. I am still young, I still have things I want to do before embarking on that adventure.

I guess I am rambling - the point I am getting at is it's hard to find girls who are where I am at in life, it's hard to make friends who truly understand where your coming from. I just hope it happens sooner, rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment