Friday, November 12, 2010

Happy Veteran's Day!

[ I think there is one higher office than president and I would call that patriot. - Gary Hart ]
[ In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot. - Mark Twain ]


I just wanted to take a moment to remember those who have lost their lives, and those who have willingly sacrificed so much for our great country. I may not like who our President is, nor agree with him on almost anything - especially his most recent idiotic idea for our military- but I love my country.

Happy Veteran's Day. Today is a day that we sit back (some of you, who had the day off) and take a minute to realize everything we have, and thank a military service member. It isn't only about sales (yes, they are a perk), or about a paid day off of work (for some of you), or about even just having your significant other home, because thousands are still deployed. We remember that, we are the home of the free thanks to the brave. The military is a volunteer service, in which a person wrote a blank check to the United States Government up to the amount of their life. They hear and deal with enough crap, especially crap for the hellians of Westbro Baptist, where they deserve at the bare minimum a day to be thanked for their service. So here is a moment where I would like to thank a few veteran's in my life:

-First to my daddy. My daddy has proudly served 30 years active duty in the United States Navy. He retired the highest ranking Master Chief in the navy and was the Old Tar. My father was the type of person who loved serving his country, and loved helping those the fell under his ranking. He was deployed at total of 11 years throughout his career, was aboard the USS Enterprise when 9/11 happened, and turned around immediately (they were transiting home) he proudly signed one of the first bombs that was dropped on Afghanistan. There are way too many accomplishments to list here (hello, 30 year career!) Bravo Zulu Daddy-o!
-Secondly- to the love of my life, my sailor, Erik. My honey buns has been serving (and is still active duty) in the United States Navy for over 4 years now. He has done two deployments (back to back) aboard the USS Eisenhower. While deployed he earned his AW and SW quals (to be dually qualed is huge in the aviation side of things). He has been deployed a total of 17 months, and has just recently (Sept 29th) reenlisted for another 3 years and will be heading from NAS Oceana to NAS Jacksonville. I'm so proud of him, and so proud to call him the love of my life. Bravo Zulu Sweetheart!!

-Thirdly, a dear friend of mine, who was killed during Operation Iraqi Freedom, Kelly 'E.C' Watters. I meet Kelly during middle school (forever ago). He was a great person, loved life, and always had a good joke in mind. Kelly joined the Marine Corps in 2007 and was deployed to Iraq in 2008. He passed away due to injuries sustained from an IED on June 11, 2008. R.I.P

It is because of thousands of others and the three men listed above that we have the rights and privileges that we have. Don't take them for granted. Freedom isn't free.


Happy Veterans Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment