Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Limiting social media in my life


One of my goals for 2014 is being a better mom, a better wife, a better friend, a better person; an overall better ME.

I won’t pretend like I have all the answers, I don’t and quite frankly I don’t want all of the answers. I like the trial and error, its harsh, consuming, and blunt; it’s real. One thing I really, really am trying harder to be better off is being more hands off of my phone. Staying away from social media, texting, emails while I’m with the boys. This is hard. One because I work at home, so unless its work related I’m working harder at not being mentally occupied when I’m with the boys. They’re at an age right now where they are so much fun. While they don’t always want my interaction and while watching at times can be… redundant (?), I can be there in other ways. I used to bake a lot, and it doesn’t take much to bake with them in the kitchen. I want to try to be more hands on and do crafts with them or activities. Teach them fun games and all the things a mom should be doing with her toddler. Not half watching them play on their own while I’m on my phone. Which, I know I am guilty of at times. Sometimes that mental break is so needed, but doesn’t need to be a daily occurrence. So starting now, I am challenging myself to leave my phone on the counter from the time they wake up from their afternoon nap till they are in bed.

It’s not that I’m against social media, or cell phone use, or against screen time for toddlers. I’m doing this for me. I want to memorize these moments I have with my boys. They are growing so fast, too fast actually. The independence they have gained over the past 14 months is astonishing. I don’t want to miss out on anything. I want to be there, with them in the moment. Now – not all moments are pretty. I know that. Trust me – when you have a poopy butt with a screaming mad baby attached to it, and another one stealing the wipes and running away – that is certainly not pretty. It’s funny… but not pretty.

I’m doing this for me too, I tend to take things to heart and feed off of others energy. And that is draining, very draining. Things affect me in ways they shouldn’t. In order to be more positive, I have to surround myself with positivity, with people I want to be like, and quite honestly that’s not what is on my Facebook feed, I’m sure it’s not on yours either. So – its my theory that if I avoid it, even for a small spectrum of my day, than it will help. Eventually I really want to only be on my phone when I need to be, and not on social media except for maybe once a day, twice? We’ll see, It’s not that I want to hide myself, or divorce my phone completely. Just that I want to be, I need to be more present in my day, in my life, and in my children’s life. That’s really what it’s about.

I’m trying to be better to myself, and carrying around all the worry and stress of the day isn’t healthy. Rushing isn’t good for anyone, especially anyone who has mom brain. Trying to slow down, make time, and eliminate stresses in my day to day and I really think, really hope, this will do that. I’ve been better about not being on my phone before bed, sipping some warm tea, before brushing my teeth and climbing in for the night (well until the next pacifier cry that is). And you know what? It’s helped. So, here’s to something new and hopefully something life changing. Because that is what this girl is looking for..

Why don’t you give it a shot? Limit your time on your phone, let’s see what we all get out of it! Let me know what your challenge is, and what you’re hoping will come out of this change.  

No comments:

Post a Comment